"Comps" the mere word sends shivers through most of us. We fear them, we hope we don't have to take them and for some of us they are that burdensome step between us and our dissertation proposal. The luckiest PhD's have switched to a take home version or a paper approach. Unfortunately for me, my school does it the old way.
In January I took my written comps - two days, four questions, ten hours - and a broken hand as well. It was an anti-climactic experience. So much expectation, so much preparation, the earth should've moved. But it didn't, and I was left with the feeling that I had over studied. Still, it was celebration time. The first half of one leg was over.
In February I found out I had successfully passed my comps and been nominated to attend the 2007 Sheth/AMA Doctoral Consortium. At that moment I was sure I would burst from sheer joy. This was definitely a great achievement. All I had to do now was schedule and pass the Oral Comprehensives. Orals? In front of people? With no time to write, edit and revise?
Last Friday the 16th I successfully completed my orals, and am now officially a Ph.D. Candidate. Now nothing stands between me and my dissertation proposal.
Monday, March 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment